Monday, March 2, 2009

What to do with your used printer cartridges?

(photo from Overdrive Electronics)


Have you wondered what to do with your printer cartridges? I know of several things...and if you know of any more please let me know.

1. At Wal-mart (I know, I know) in the ink aisle, they have donor envelopes that go directly to some organization that earns money from them. I don't know the charity. This doesn't seem like best option, but it certainly IS an option.

2. My library accepts them. They exchange them for monetary credits and use them towards the purchase of new books. I ALWAYS get strange looks, and NOBODY ever knows what to do with them, but this is what I do with my cartridges.

3. Trade them in yourself. After looking on the internet I found several places. (I intend to try one just to make sure it works, but have not yet, so if you have please let us know.)

Toner Buyer

E Cycle (They also accept MP3's and cell phones. This seems like the more reputable company to me, for some reason...don't really have a reason though, so don't ask.)

They would refill them and sell them, I would assume. They are being recycled and that's always a good thing.

Just an FYI, they aren't buying the recycled cartridges...only the original (used up) cartridges. If they've been refilled already, they won't buy them. At least that is how it seems to me...could be wrong...hey, what do I know...never mind.

7 comments:

Kelly said...

I take mine to Office Max (or is it Depot? It's the one beside of Toys R Us that I always go to LOL like you know where I mean) Anyways, you get $3 off your new ones if you turn the old ones in.

3 Bay B Chicks said...

What a fantastic tip! I had no idea there were so many different options. I saw a commercial on TV last night for Office Max where they will exchange your used cartridges for store credit.

However, after reading your post, I would have to say that I like your options a LOT better. Thank you!

-Francesca

Anonymous said...

I also take mine to Office Depot. They used to give you a coupon for $3 off your next purchase but now they put the $3 credit on your WorkLife Rewards card (they'll send you a gift card each quarter with the amount you've earned). My last gift card was $46 - some earned for toner/ink I purchased and the remaining for the ink cartridges.

Karen

I've also seen the envelopes at the post office but I can't remember who receives the money for those.

Michelle said...

Thanks Kelly and Karen!

Jen said...

I take mine to Walgreens - if you just turn them in for recycling (not refilling), they will give you a coupon for 10 free digital prints for each cartridge. Last time I did it, they let me use 3 coupons together.

Michelle said...

Good tip Jen!

April said...

Petsmart also has the recycling bags at the front of there store and it benefits the pets so that it what we do.