Friday, August 15, 2008

Let's Talk about Submission



I know I already posted once, but I wanted to make one more post. Fridays I'm going to post about our family. Ways to be a better mom and wife and keeper at home. I hope everyone can help me out!

"Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything." Eph 5:22-24

Submit: to rank under

I married a man who is easy to rank under. Its easy for me to submit to him. (But even it's not, in your case, you don't have a choice not to...) Its easy because he never puts his foot down. He brings things to me and genuinely wants my input. Usually I just tell him to decide. But even if he came home tomorrow and said, "We are moving to Russia" (which actually wouldn't surprise me that much), I would go. I would go without complaining. I may not go joyfully, (I would miss my MIL and SIL and all my church friends) but I would go and be happy to be with my husband.

That being said, I can't say I always submit, with a happy heart, in the small things. When I feel a child should receive a particular punishment and they don't get it, I'm not always happy, I'm snippy about it. How is that submitting? It was still his decision to make. When I don't get to go somewhere or do something because he has to work on the house, I try to talk him out of it. How is that submission?

I could go on and on about submission but I'm going to end this here. Are we submitting with a joyful heart? Even in the small, every day things?

My prayer for today: Lord, thank you for giving me a husband who is easy to submit to. Thank you for bringing us together and completing our families. Please help me to be the wife that you created me to be. Help me to submit in all things, big and small, and do so without complaining or muttering.

2 comments:

Tara H. said...

I will have to admit, submission is hard for me. As the main "bread winner" in my home, it is very difficult to remember my place as God has chosen it. All too many times does my pride get the best of me. I bolted at this idea when in my earlier years, but as I get more into the Word and focus my walk to line up with Jesus, I have found that when I submit, my husband in turn, ends up treating me just as God intended. When I don't we have conflict. He does not try to rule the house, but has taken an active role in leading. This is how God outlined it in the beginning and how he designed us. It is nice to know others have trouble submitting even as they walk with Christ!

Michelle said...

Submission is hard, it was part of Eve's curse. But as we focus on the bigger picture it becomes easier.

And yes, our husbands will step right into that role, if we allow them to.