Monday, August 16, 2010

Review: Hermie, Who's in Charge Anyway?



Have you seen Hermie or read any of the books?  Which came first?  I don't know.  What I do know is that I LOVED this movie.  I mean, the kids loved this movie.

The lame thing about Hermie is that I had already written an entire review and lost it.

The great thing about Hermie is...lots!

The first thing I noticed was the the animation is reminiscent of Nick Jr cartoons. (Mrs. Spider Patch anyone?)

When the bugs sang at the beginning of the movie it sounded just like Third Day. And who doesn't love Third Day?

I love the subtle comedy. One of my favorite lines comes from a speech aboard Noah's Ark:

"In the event of a sinking, scream at the top of your lungs and hold on to whatever is close. If you find yourself under water, please, hold your breath....and pray."

Kori liked the Elvis bee. I thought it was pretty cute too.

And of course, there were the Beetles. Kori actually caught a reference to "I am the Walrus" (but not because we listen to the Beatles...anyone ever actually listen to the words to those songs, or worse, look up how they came to be???) Goo Goo Achoo (as he sneezes).

The mosquito wonders why God made him that way...someone tells him to ask God. God tells him He doesn't make mistakes. I like that the movie shows that we can ask God the hard questions. It teaches that we can pray to Him just like a conversation with a friend.

We all enjoyed our movie and the kids have requested it since then.  I plan to get more Hermie movies.


1 comment:

Yara said...

Oh man... my head hurts! I start reading your post on google reader. Wonder what you're talking about with that walrus thing. Go look it up & MAN those are some yucky lyrics! Blech!

But Hermie, he's cool. We used to watch those. Maybe I will look for a video at the library this week...
once L2 stops feeling sick.