Thursday, February 18, 2010

Writer's workshop-Hiking in our family

The Prompts:
Which one will YOU choose??
1.) The heart that just wouldn’t quit.
2.) Relay an entertaining conversation or string of emails you recently had with someone.
3.) Open your picture folders…find a random “February” picture from a past year and tell a story.
4.) Childhood memory time: Write about something you loved to do as a child.
5.) “The ache for home lives in all of us, the safe place where we can go as we are and not be questioned” ~ Maya Angelou -Now write.

---------------------------------------------------------


Open your picture folders…find a random “February” picture from a past year and tell a story.

First, before I get started, did anyone besides me know there is a new, brand new, wonderful, fantastic, thingy dealy for writing blog posts?  So wonderful in fact that when you upload pictures you can place your curser in your blog post RIGHT where you want the picture to go and after the picture loads you can click on it and it will go right exactly where you have your curser placed and I have no idea why no one told me but it's really easy to change it if you just go to your settings or something like that so let me know if you need help. Deep breath.  I'm so excited.  No spell check though.  (Which means I must learn to use the apostrophe now. ''''''''  There.)

Now what was I doing?

Oh yea.  Pictures.  From February of last year.


We like to hike.  And by we, I mean, Jeff.  He really likes to hike. I'm along for the ride, er, hike, I guess.  Anyway, every so often, on a beautiful, warm day we head over to the Wichita Mountains.

Here are the ways we hike:

Jeff isn't afraid of anything and will literally hike a vertical wall.  He walks fast and with authority and he never tires.  Man, he is a ball of energy.  That is why he never gains any weight.

Ashlea never wants to go.

Kori has Jeff's energy but doesn't like to expend it...which is why she is prone to fidgeting with whatever is in reach and breaks everything.  However when we go on hikes she is always the one in the lead and has no fear, much like her dad.  When we get to the top of a mountain she goes right to the edge.  Jeff often has to call her back.

Kati has a lot of energy too but nothing like Kori or Jeff.  She also has a huge dose of fear which keeps her back with us. She also likes to be with the adults and walking on ahead does not appeal to her at all.  She will never go right to the cliff's edge.  In fact, anyone who gets within four feet of the cliff's edge freaks Kati out so much that she can't even watch.  Not to mention the begging them to move away.

Millicent is much like Kati in that she has a healthy dose of fear too. She stays a good way away from the edge but if she can  make a joke out of something, safely, like pretending to fall, she will.  Don't show Kati.  Which is why she is over to the side in this picture; some kind of funny joke.

Asa has NO FEAR at all.  Good gracious, keep that boy in the backpack.

Me?  I'm like Millicent and Kati.  I don't want to get too close to the edge and I don't want to see you too close to the edge.  That's why I'm taking the picture here.  Although if you saw all the pictures you would see that Jeff talked me into taking one, but NOT with Asa.  I have to draw my line somewhere.

And just for fun.

As we were driving out of the mountains, we passed this car.  It required a second look.  Be sure to click on thh picture so you can read all the bumper stickers. This guy likes cats...and dogs...and McCain...but hates dog catchers...and liberals. We tried to find him, just so we could see this freak guy.  But he didn't come back to his vehicle while we were there, or we would have taken his picture...you know me...look at this guy.

Now you guys are getting into the spirit of things with the questions.  Come on.  '''''  Just practicing again, sorry.  Bring 'em on.  Ask me about my hair or organic products or or...or anything.  I'm (see that apostrophe...all that practicing paid off) answering questions next week.

8 comments:

Jeff Johnson said...

Man. I want to leave work and go hiking right now.

Jeff Johnson said...

...and remember. The road to hell is paved with dog catchers and liberals.

Unknown said...

I would love to know more about the picture posting...I'm so tired of dragging them all over the page!

Great pictures!

Adoption of Jane said...

Your Family looks Fun! But the driver of the car mustv'e been a Freak for Real!! Too bad you didn't see him!

Marcy said...

First of all YESSSS, please do explain what you mean about the picture posting since I am fully annoyed with it right now. Maybe I'm mistakenly using it because my pictures seem to be jumping around all willy-nilly.

Great recap of your picture. Here I am in the second flattest part of the great state of Iowa (I visit the flattest part often enough to know) and "hiking" around here means going on the hilly parts of the trails at the closest park. It's so great that you can enjoy this as a family and I love the way each of the family members' personalities come out on the hiking trail.

Givinya De Elba said...

Dogcatchers and Liberals? Wow.

Over here in Australia we just don't tell people how we vote. It's sorta cringe-worthy seeing bumper stickers and stuff telling people that they vote Republican/Democrat, and go on to say that Democrats/Republicans are 100% wrong and therefore are all going to hell!

Well, it seems a bit simple or small-minded at least!

And whacking stickers like that on your bumper - I'm thinking that it would place you at higher risk to get accidentally-on-purpose smashed up the back by angry drivers.

But whatever.

Great post by the way!!

Unknown said...

He must have had those printed because where would you find all those bummer stickers? LOL, oh, I forgot you live in Oklahoma;) I can say that, living in OK for the first 20 or so years of my life.

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

Those bumper stickers are CUH-RAY-ZEE!!! I love your family pic though, this post was fabulous!