Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Christmas




Gifts In A Jar: Confetti Bean Soup Recipe


Materials and Supplies:
12 wide-mouth pint (2-cup) canning jars with lid and rings
14 pounds assorted dried peas, beans and lentils(at least 8 different varieties):
pink beansblack beansbaby lima beanslentilsred lentilsblack-eyed peasred kidney beanspinto beanssplit peasgreat northern beanssmall red beanswhite beans
12 Italian-flavor bouillon cubes(note: substitute beef-flavor if you cannot find Italian-flavor cubes!)
12 bay leaves
1/2 yard print cotton fabric
1 round (6 yards) craft ribbon
2 pieces cardstock (for free printable gift tags)


Instructions:
Wash, rinse and dry canning jars.
Layer beans in jars. Add 1/4-cup of each type of bean to the jars, layering the beans. Choose the most colorful bean for the bottom layers of the jar. Add eight 1/4-cup layers to each jar.
Place 1 bay leaf and one bouillon cube on top of the beans in each jar.
Seal each jar using lids and rings.
[Hint for FoodSaver brand vacuum sealer owners: use the jar sealing attachment to seal bean soup jars for longer storage.]
Cut twelve 7-inch circles from cotton fabric. Top each jar with fabric circle, and tie with ribbon.
Print three copies of printable gift tag. Cut gift tags apart and attach to jars with ribbon.
Makes 12 gift jars.


I think this would be so fun and creative. But I just don't know anybody who would like it. Do you? Who would you give this too?


5 comments:

Unknown said...

That is a neat one! I did brownie mix in a jar one year for the neighbors. That was cool. I am thinking of doing it again. Everyone loves brownies!

Unknown said...

Oh, and go read my blog, I gave you an award!

Millicent said...

Yum!!! Thanks for sharing!
Ok..so I have to know...how did you guys decide on the name millicent?
my mom knew someone when she was growing up with the name :)

Michelle said...

Thanks Marcy!

Well my husband was reading a book, I think a birth book, and came across that name. We both just loved it! And it fit her perfectly. It means highborn power. She had the most AMAZING birth. So it was perfect.

How did you get yours?

Yara said...

send it to me! I'd love it!
I did pancake mix ina jar once & my family (aunts & cousins) loved it
oh my friend may love soup so I may make this for her since her scarf sits unfinished in some unknown corner of the house (let me off the hook, I had a rough October)