Friday, October 3, 2008

Family Friday

Do you ever have days were you feel like you couldn't have been a WORSE parent? I can't be the only one. Weeks? Surely not just me. MONTHS? I gotta be the only one there. It just seems sometimes that one bad day leads into another and before you know it a whole week has gone by and I'm still the worlds worst mom.

What about more help in cleaning and less mess making?

What about more obedience and less whining?

What about more smiles and less crying?

And that's just me, what about the kids? (Just kidding.)

But seriously, isn't a two-way street? My attitude reflects what's going on here and the kids' attitudes reflect my attitude...a big 'ol horrible circle of bad attitudes. All starting with me, but not ending with me.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." --Matt 11:28-30

I have been weary.

Some days are like that.

And then...

I put my yoke upon Him and it all turns around.

Then we have days where all it seems lighter and easier and much more fun. The sun seems to shine brighter. The stars are all aligned. Okay, well the starts are shiny.

No one changed their behavior. Nothing is different. But today I was a good mom. Today I didn't lose my patience. I never raised my voice...even in the face of disobedience. I smiled while I reminded children (for the hundredth time). I laughed at silliness. I answered ridiculous questions. I pulled children to me for hugs and kisses. I enjoyed being a mom today. But more importantly I was the mom God created me to be.

Now what about tomorrow?

2 comments:

Tara H. said...

Michelle,

We all go through bad times. Please, please know I mean this from the bottom of my heart....

YOU ARE A GOOD MOM.

We all mess up or know we can improve. You just need encouragement. I have been there....am there...and will be there again. but just remember you are good. You don't give up. don't listen to the enemy trying to tell you something that isn't true.

YOU ARE A GOOD MOM.
:)

Michelle said...

Thank you Tara. That was really sweet. And helpful!