Tuesday, April 13, 2010

UBP10 Food and fun


So what's a party without food? Nothing, right.  That's why I weigh 1000 pounds.  (No offense meant to any 1000 pound reader.)

Here are some of my favorite recipes right now.

Baked Oatmeal  (This is one of my family's favorite recipes.  We got it from a friend and it's so versatile.)

1/2 c oil (we love coconut oil)
3/4 c sugar, honey or maple syrup (we usually use honey)
2 eggs
3 c oatmeal
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 c milk

(Even though the recipe has specific instructions, I don't follow them.  The joy of this recipe is the simplicity.)  Mix the oil, sugar and eggs.  (I put all my ingredients right into the baking pan and mix there.)

Mix everything else.

Add fruit and stir.

Bake 350 for 30-40 minutes.  Serve warm with milk, brown sugar, raisins, etc.

I often mix this the night before and leave it soaking in the fridge all night.  It really gets good when you do that.

from Frugal Living

Simple Pull Apart Rolls from Cooking During Stolen Moments

It makes three batches.

We used one regular, one for breakfast with cinnamon and sugar, and one with garlic. Next time we won't do the garlic.  This was our first time to make bread without the bread machine and it was EASY.

Meatloaf Cups from Cooking During Stolen Moments

I fried the meat ahead because I was already frying meat for another meal. It still turned out great.  These are AMAZING.  We put them in a ziploc bag for our lunches.

Brown Bag Burritos from Fish Mama

These were so good.  Instead of making burritos out of them I put the meat in a bag for future lunches.  When we were ready to eat them we put them on a tortilla with some lettuce, cheese and sour cream. I could not get enough of this stuff.

Peach Heaven

2 lbs of peaches (we used frozen)
1 1/2 c whipping cream (we used the canned kind)
1 Tbs vanilla
1 1/2 c brown sugar

Add vanilla to cream and thicken by stirring.

Cover peaches with mix.

Freeze for a bit.

Layer brown sugar over mixture and heat until bubbly and cream shows through.

We found this recipe because we failed at making Peach Crisp.  And by we, I mean, Kori, who put ONE CUP of cinnamon in the peach crisp.  ONE CUP, people.  The recipe called for one tablespoon.  Even when asked if that was the right amount she was adamant it was.  Only when I made her check the recipe again, again...for she had already checked it several times, did she admit that she had used too much cinnamon.

When we were eating this delectable Peach Heaven, Jeff said it was missing only one thing.  A cup of cinnamon.

We razz her all the time now.

Another fiasco during that cooking stint was forgetting to put water in the crockpot. That was Kori again.  I kept smelling something burning but she said she put water in it.  Who knew not adding water would pretty much decimate your crockpot?  Who knew?

Those are my favorite recipes today.  Give some a try and tell me how you like them.  And I'm always on the lookout for easy recipes with cheap ingredients.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I enjoyed the post - it made me hungry. Are you trying to make me eat so that you will win?

LOL

Mom's Place said...

Mmmmmmm...I want to try the bread one! We do a lot of home made whole wheat bread.