Thursday, October 15, 2009

Writer's Workshop--I shouldn't have bothered.


YEAH! I finally get to do a Writer's Workshop. But before I get to that; an update.

Heard from Jeff and he says Singapore is absolutely amazing. Not so much the 20 hour flight. I had hopes of telling you I only cried once yesterday. But then we started talking about him at church and that teared me up. Then he called and when we hung up I really cried. BUT HE CALLED!!! He actually borrowed someones phone so he could call me.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Choose a prompt, post it on your blog, and go to Mama Kat's and sign Mr. Linky. Be sure to sign up with the actual post URL and not just your basic blog URL (click on the title of your post for that URL). For good comment karma try to comment on the three blogs above your name!!

The Prompts:

1.) Interview your mom...questions might include, How has motherhood changed you? What ages were your favorites? Do you miss having having kids in the house? What was the most difficult part of being a mom for you? What was the most rewarding part? etc...

This would be fun to do except then I would have to call my mom (or my mother in law) and ask questions and then we might have a discussion and that would keep me on the phone for a while and everyone who knows me knows I hate being on the phone for a while so I'll pass on this one and on using periods and commas.

2.) Tell us the story of your birth.

What's up? Is it Mother's Day or something? You guys are giving me a complex. I know nothing about my birth and not much about my childhood.

3.) How did you parents choose your name? What does it mean? What would you change your name to if you could?

Seriously? This is the day I get to do Writer's Workshop and it's all about normal people with normal childhoods. I'm not part of that club. I have no choice but to do this one in reverse, FOR my children.

4.) Describe a moment when you realized your mom was more than just a mom.

Again, that must be something people realize when they have moms who are more than just moms. I just started talking to my mom on a regular basis. I didn't know she was more than just a mom.

5.) Write a poem for your Mama.


Oh Mama dear,
I wonder where
You were for all those years
You must have been somewhere drinking all the beers.

Not nice? Cute though, huh? She doesn't read my blog so it's okay.

-------------------------------------------------------------

How did you parents choose your name? What does it mean? What would you change your name to if you could?

Millicent's name means highborn power. It's such an old school name and seldom heard anymore. When Jeff found it in a book one day we knew that would be perfect for a baby girl.

Conversely, our boys name was Obediah. We were going to call him Obie. The day we found out I was pregnant was the premier of Star Wars. Hey, I'm a fan.

Her middle name is Grace. Grace is an attribute of God. And a really cute middle name. It went perfectly with Millicent.

I've never met another Millicent and I get a lot of eyebrows, which is perfect for us.

Her name really takes on new proportions for us as we realize the meaning of her name is true in the way she was born. She had the most amazing birth imaginable. God was so powerful and evident in our home that day and throughout the labor and birth. So her name really fits.

Then with Asa we had another name picked out all along. The day before Asa was born God revealed to us different name. Asa. It means healer. Guess where we were coming back from when we thought of that name? The hospital. I had pre eclampsia. So his name fits him perfectly too.

His middle name is Kayil. Which is another attribute of God. It's Hebrew for Omnipotent, all powerful.

In Bible times names were important. Sometimes God even changed a persons name (Abram to Abraham, etc). So we don't willy, nilly pick out a name. We pray about it and research it and talk it over. And both of these names have real significance for us.

I hope as our little ones get older they will love their names as much as we do.

------------------------------------------------------------

So this was probably the most boring Writer's Workshop I've ever done. I've lost my Mojo. It must be in Singapore. Or it got lost when the computer stopped working. Or hey, it's not even my fault but instead it's Mama Kat's fault for her LAME writing prompts.







9 comments:

Stephanie said...

I am so with you I never do these writers workshop but, i was going to try it today and this is what we get I could write some heart-felt BS but, it would all be a lie maybe next week they will do a prompt "How shitty is your mom"that I could write about

Kara said...

Michelle, I love you and when you said this is for ppl who had a "normal" childhood I knew exactly what you meant! I'm not exactly sure what "normal" is but I share some of the same issues as you do with my mom. The wonderful thing is that you get to be a mommy who is loving and lets your children know how much of a blessing they really are. I hope one day to be able to do the same. :)
~Kara~

Unknown said...

I love how you turned this around to write about your children!

Great work Michelle and I don't think you've lost your mojo at all!

adrienzgirl said...

I love the thought and conviction with which you and your sweetheart named each of your children!

Chantel said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I make myself tired just thinking about what I've been doing during this whole nesting craze, but, then I'm right back to cleaning. I need to finish my book before it's due back at the library next week, so I'm forcing myself to take a break and enjoy it before baby comes. Who knows when I'll get to read again.

Misty M. said...

Michelle,
I'm with you on the mom thing. Mine doesn't really fit into the normal category either, and she doesn't talk much about her past, like when I was born.

I love the name Asa! I only know of one other one and i loved it when I first heard it. We are having a ton of trouble picking out a name for this one coming, boys names are so hard for us. I want a Bible name (our first son's name is Micah) but my and my hubby just can't agree on anything. Definitely praying about it! Do ya'll have any name ideas for your new one?

Teresa @ ♥ Too Many Heartbeats ♥ said...

I LOVE how you and your hubby picked each of your children's names. They are so beautiful and perfect. They are lucky to have such great parents.

I hope you have an amazing weekend!

Blessings,

Teresa <><

TWO VERY SPECIAL MINUTES...

http://toomanyheartbeats.blogspot.com/2009/10/two-very-special-minutes.html

Milburns' said...

yea... a lot of us have messed up moms and pasts for that matter... though I know in *my* case... I know my mom tried and for that I give her kudos.... as many issues as I have with her (adoptive mom that is... dont know my bio)

All this to say... I did it this week... I think I am even going to get over my stupid pride and send it to her in a very dark time in her life as I think it will encourage her and hopefully steer her even closer to the Lord.

Milburns' said...

oh yea... I lveo how you picked names too! names are also very important to us and we pray HARD and search many in choosing our kiddos names... we always try for a Biblical first and family middle. :-)